Sunday, May 22, 2011

No Regrets

I feel a bit like I am in no-man's-land.  I am 97.2% sure I want to change my major, after two fun, full, and fruitful years in the violin performance program.  I love the music program.  I have made incredible friends, developed meaningful relationships with faculty, accrued interesting and useful knowledge, loved playing in ensembles, and improved drastically as a  musician.  But I don't want a career in professional music.  I see myself as a mom with a part-time violin studio, and I'd love to play in a local orchestra.  The point is: I already have the necessary experience for what I want.  
So I'm taking a leap of faith and forging out into the realm of (probably) Neuroscience.  But that's not what this post is about.  

This post is about why I have absolutely zero regrets about spending two full years on my minor.

In addition to all the reasons I listed above for loving the music program, the study (and attempt at mastery) of the violin has taught me a lot about life.  The hours I've spent in the practice rooms with my violin have taught me diligence, patience, creativity, persistence, discernment, and appreciation for beauty.  Playing in string quartets has shown me the thrill of contributing as part of a unified group to create something lovely.  Perfecting and performing masterpieces has given me satisfaction and gratitude.  And there is nothing as exhilarating as being part of an ocean of magnificent, orchestral sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment